La Cosa Nostra
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to RP fight

Go down

How to RP fight Empty How to RP fight

Post  Richard Shru Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:57 am

This tutorial will deal with several methods to rp combat, from using binds or not, to when to begin fighting, etc. This will not be long, but will hopefully cover everything needed:

Part 1: Before the fight

Part 2: Entering into a fight

Part 3: Fighting

Part 4: After the fight

Part 1: To start with, the first thing you should ask is whether or not to use binds. Binds are a useful tool, in that they allow you to react faster than typing it out. Which is why I want to make this first part clear. In the realm of RP, if there isn't a /me saying it happened, generally it didn't happen. There are exceptions, some people think only larger weapons deserve a /me to be drawn, but in order to avoid confusion, always use a me.

Now, Bind's are debateable in terms of whether they're RP or not. For one, they give an unfair advantage if the other person is still typing, and generally don't end an rp well. However, in situations in which the other person has already opened fire, they are useful for catching up to the other person's actions. I personally suggest to keep them on hand even if to merely handle a bad rper.

Part 2: When you're going to fight another person, there's usually two manners in which it occurs. Range Armed, Melee armed, or unarmed. We'll mostly be covering the first, but to initiate melee combat of any kind, the easiest method really is to just use a /me attempt. For example, /me attempts to swing the sword at Joe's head. Then, you do a /do Do they start fighting?

In range combat, the curtious thing to do is rp drawing your weapon, and fire a few rounds AROUND the person, as opposed to at them. If they fire back, then they are ready and you may begin. Simply opening fire is noobish, and will create harsh feelings afterwards. Wait for them to return fire, because even if they do the same and fire around you, clearly they are ready.

Part 3: When you're fighting, whether it be ranged or melee, its important to make the distinction between game mechanics and reality. For example, in reality, you wouldn't hop all over the place like a loon to avoid getting hit.

In melee combat, the game mechanis are usually pretty good about keeping things in check. However, if you wish to rp being beaten and still alive, Binds would be a useful helper here, as mid combat, after a powerful strik you can do /hurt, or /sleep to show you're knocked back/down and wounded. Then you have a /me saying the same.

In range combat, there's several important things. For one, utilize cover. Don't try to emulate Rambo. Realistically You wouldn't have a guy stand out in the open and be shot at while returning fire. Furthermore, try not to overuse the combat roll you get when aiming and strafing. Its non-rp to roll in circles around the dude while they miss every shot. Combat rolling is best utilized for coming in and out of cover when crouched. Like the side of a hallway, or a low wall. You roll out, fire some round, roll back, fire a few more around the corner, etc.

Also, don't feel the need to hit the person. Killing them ends the fight quicker. You're better off shooting up their cover (cars, tables, walls, etc.). Especially in the case of cars, as they'll explode and force them to find new cover. And nothing is quite as satisfying as a big boom in the middle of a fire fight ^_^.

One important note though, if at any time a person stops shooting or fighting, you should immediately do so as well, or continue shooting around their cover at least. Do not try to rush up and mow them down. If you see someone sitting there doing nothing, they're either having problems IRL, or trying to write a /me. And on occasion that /me involves them being wounded. Don't be afraid to get wounded yourself as well. Not all wounds are incapacitating. One to the shoulder or arm or leg for example can allow you to keep on. And sometimes loosing is just as fun as winning Razz.

Part 4: When the fight's done, it can either end with one person giving up (possibly because they're wounded) or with the death of the other individual. If they die, let them know via /sms that you enjoyed the rp. Even if you didn't completely like the outcome, its still better to be like "Hey, that was fun, although in the future could you please...." than be like "FUCK YOU MOTHERFUCKING NOOB! OMFG, I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU KILLED ME."

If you're taken prisoner, just continue the rp as normal hehe. In any case, I hope this guide helped.

Richard Shru
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum